Porcelain Veneers Address a Variety of Cosmetic Concerns Simultaneously
Dr. Donald Kahn, Dr. Angela Ferrari, and Dr. Daniel Aldieri offer porcelain veneers at our convenient Farmingdale, NY, office. Veneers are thin shells of porcelain that fit over the front surfaces of your teeth to conceal aesthetic imperfections like chips, cracks, and slight misalignment. Durable porcelain mimics the color and texture of enamel so you can enjoy a beautiful, natural-looking smile for many years. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation with one of our dentists.
Porcelain Veneers Candidates
Veneers can benefit most patients who wish to address:
- Gapped teeth. Porcelain veneers can be made slightly larger than your actual teeth to conceal uneven spacing.
- Mild misalignment. Some dentists refer to veneers as “instant orthodontia” because they can immediately correct the appearance of crooked teeth.
- Fractured or chipped teeth.
- Misshapen teeth. If your teeth vary in shape, size, or length, porcelain veneers can make your smile more symmetrical and proportional.
- Staining and discoloration. Made in the color you and your dentist decide is right for you, porcelain veneers immediately whiten your teeth. This is especially helpful for patients whose teeth do not respond to traditional teeth whitening. In addition, porcelain is stain resistant, and maintains its color with proper care.
To be a good candidate for porcelain veneers, you should:
- Have sufficient enamel to hold the veneers after your dentist makes minor alterations to your teeth.
- Not grind your teeth. Patients who suffer from bruxism may damage their veneers, interfering with their results. Bruxism should be addressed first.
- Be in good oral and overall health. If you have any decay, infection, or periodontal disease, this will need to be corrected before you begin the porcelain veneers treatment process.
One of our dentists will determine if porcelain veneers are a suitable treatment option for you during your initial consultation.
If you qualify for porcelain veneers and decide to proceed with treatment, one of our dentists will begin by creating a digital model of your teeth. This allows you to see the potential results of your veneers and request any modifications to suit your preferences. Next, your doctor will shape your teeth for veneers, removing a small amount of enamel so that the porcelain shells can fit over your teeth and lay flush with surrounding natural teeth. In addition to traditional veneers, our dentists offer minimal-prep veneers. In some cases, they may be able to use LUMINEERS®, which are extremely thin porcelain veneers that can require little or no tooth preparation.
After shaping your teeth, our dentists will use our intraoral scanner to take a digital impression, which the lab will use to create your permanent veneers. We will also craft a wax-up of your veneers for you to try on, allowing you to assess their fit and shape so the lab can make any necessary adjustments. In the 10 to 14 days it takes the lab to create your veneers, you will wear temporary veneers, which will look and feel very similar to your permanent veneers.
Once your permanent veneers are complete - usually after two weeks - you will come in for a final appointment, and your doctor will bond your veneers to your teeth using a strong adhesive.
Learn More about Porcelain Veneers
We can help you achieve the smile of your dreams in as little as two weeks. To learn more about porcelain veneers, or to schedule a consultation with one of our dentists, contact us today.