Invisalign® Straightens Your Teeth Discreetly
Invisalign® is a discreet orthodontic option that straightens your teeth with a series of clear, removable plastic aligners. Dr. Angela Ferrari provides Invisalign® treatment at our Farmingdale, NY, practice to help patients align their teeth without the inconvenience and conspicuous appearance of traditional braces. Invisalign®’s transparent aligners gradually shift your teeth into proper position while allowing you eat any foods you choose, and to brush and floss normally. Meanwhile, those around you will not notice you are wearing Invisalign®. To learn more about Invisalign®, or to schedule a consultation with one of our dentists, contact our office today.
Most patients who desire straighter smiles are candidates for Invisalign®. To qualify for treatment, you should:
- Have mild to moderate misalignment. Invisalign® can correct overcrowding, uneven spacing, and bite issues, but it may not be effective for patients with more severe orthodontic needs.
- Be at least 13 years old. Invisalign® offers a special program for teens to help keep them accountable for their treatment, allow for the fact that some teeth may not have fully erupted, and provide replacement mouthpieces if some are lost.
- Not suffer from bruxism (teeth grinding). Patients who grind their teeth, usually unconsciously in their sleep, may damage their aligners in the process. Bruxism treatment may be necessary before prescribing Invisalign®.
- Be in good oral health, without periodontal (gum) disease or decay.
Our doctors will assess your teeth and review your dental history to determine if you are an appropriate candidate for Invisalign®.
How Does it Work?
Once you have decided to undergo Invisalign® treatment, one of our dentists will generate a 3D model of your smile using digital imaging. We use this to create your treatment plan from start to finish, and to provide a preview of your end results. Then, your dentist will take a digital impression of your teeth and send it to our lab, where technicians will create your aligners. You will begin wearing the next aligner in the series every two weeks. You should only remove your aligner to eat, drink, and care for your teeth.
On average, patients reach their straightening goals in about one year. Once you have finished Invisalign® treatment, you will need to wear a Vivera® retainer at night to maintain the results.
Benefits of Invisalign®
Invisalign® is one of the most popular straightening systems because it provides many advantages over traditional braces:
- It's easier to maintain oral hygiene, since you can simply take out your aligners for brushing, flossing, and rinsing with mouthwash.
- There are no food limitations. Patients wearing traditional braces must usually abstain from foods that are especially crunchy or sticky, because they can damage the hardware. This is not a concern when undergoing treatment with Invisalign®.
- They are more comfortable, since the aligners are made of smooth plastic.
- They are virtually invisible, since they are made of clear plastic and specially fitted to your teeth.
Achieve Straighter Teeth
Invisalign® makes it easier than ever to achieve a straight, beautiful smile. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation.