Dental Implants Restore the Comfort, Health, and Functionality of Your Smile
We place and restore dental implants at our Farmingdale, NY, office because they offer the very best support and stability for crowns, bridges, and dentures. Dental implants are titanium posts inserted into the jawbone to replace missing tooth roots. They hold restorations securely in place, and they are the only restorative treatment that can prevent the jawbone atrophy that occurs following tooth loss. Dr. Donald Kahn, Dr. Angela Ferrari, and Dr. Daniel Aldieri can oversee every step of your dental implants treatment at our comfortable office. Contact our office today to learn more about the many valuable benefits of dental implants.
Dental Implants Candidates
Advancements in implantology make virtually anyone who is missing teeth a candidate for dental implants. In general, candidates should:
- Be missing one or multiple teeth.
- Have sufficient jawbone tissue to hold the titanium posts. Our dentists can determine if you meet this criteria using digital X-rays or, if necessary, by sending you to a partner facility for an advanced cone beam scan. If you do not have enough bone tissue to support implants, you may require a bone grafting procedure to augment the jaw. In other cases, patients might lack sufficient bone tissue for traditional implants, but may be eligible for mini dental implants without the need for a bone graft.
- Be free of decay and gum disease.
- Be a nonsmoker, or be willing to stop smoking for a specified amount of time before and after your dental implant placement. Smoking can interfere with your ability to heal following surgery.
- Not suffer from any health conditions or illnesses that could suppress your immune system or compromise your recovery.
One of our dentists will examine your smile, discuss your concerns, and review your dental history to decide if you are eligible for dental implants.
First, our dentists will evaluate your candidacy and plan your treatment. We will explain your options for implant placement and restorations so you can decide which course of treatment you would like to pursue. Our dentists take a conservative approach to implants, using only the number necessary to meet your needs. For your dental implant surgery, we use local anesthesia (as well as nitrous oxide or intravenous sedation, if necessary) to keep you comfortable during surgery. For an implant-supported denture, we may use the All-on-4® method, strategically inserting four implants per arch at special angles to hold your restorations. We can also use mini implants, which are smaller in diameter than traditional implants. They require less bone tissue, so they may be a good option for those who have waited to address missing teeth, and have experienced some resulting bone atrophy. After placing the implants, your jawbone and tissue will need to heal for four to six months. During this time, you will typically wear temporary restorations. Once your jaw has recovered, our dentists will place your permanent, custom-made restorations by attaching them to the tops of your implants.
Reclaim Your Smile
Dental implants can restore the health and function of your smile for improved comfort and confidence. To learn more about implants and their many benefits, contact our office today.